Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Emma Watson/ Hermione Granger Week! 45 days!


• Hermione is pronounced "Her-MY-oh-knee."
• Hermione is a name from Shakespeare chosen because Hermione needed an unusual name.
• Hermione’s name is from Shakespeare’s A Winter’s Tale, but "my Hermione bears very little relation to *that* Hermione, but it just seemed the sort of name that a pair of professional dentists, who liked to prove how clever they were ... do you know what I mean ... gave their daughter a nice, unusual name that no-one could pronounce!" Hermione needed an unusual name because she was so snotty and annoying.
• About S.P.E.W.: Hermione thinks helping people is easy, but "she blunders towards the very people she's trying to help." Jo and her sister went through a stage like this.
• JKR: "Mostly they [kids] are really worried about Ron. As if I'm going to kill Harry's best friend. What I find interesting is only once has anyone said to me, "Don't kill Hermione," and that was after a reading when I said no one's ever worried about her... They see her as someone who is not vulnerable, but I see her as someone who does have quite a lot of vulnerability in her personality."
• JKR: "Hermione gave me a lot of trouble!" laughed Rowling. "She was really misbehaving. She developed this big political conscience about the House elves. Well, she wanted to go her own way, and for two chapters, she just went wandering off. I just let her do it and then I scrapped two chapters and kept a few bits. That I liked. That’s the most trouble anyone’s ever given me, but it was fun so I gave her her head."
• Hermione’s birthday is the 19th of September.
• JKR "always planned that Hermione would have a younger sister but she's never made an appearance and somehow it feels like it might be too late now."
• Hermione’s middle name is Jane. (Just like Umbrige, lol)

1 comment: